Skip to main content
- These need fertile, neutral soil (a pH of 6.0-7.5 is ideal).
- Plant in full sun (they will tolerate a little light shade)
- Plant 1.5m in deep, well-draining soil with plenty of organic compost added,
- Plant in beds, borders or pots
- If growing in pots, choose a fairly large pot with good drainage. You may need to re-pot as the plant grows.
Growing Tips & Pruning Advice
- Keep the soil moist during the first year. In later years, water well on a weekly basis during prolonged dry spells.
- Cut all stems back to 30cm above ground at planting time. No further pruning will be necessary for the next 3-5 years while growth is vigorous.
- In later years, remove a fifth of your gooseberry bush in winter, cutting out from its base the oldest and lowest wood.
- Apply a mulch every winter if possible.
- Fruits will ripen for harvesting in the summer from July through to August.
- Your crop may be a little sparse in year 1, but as the plant gets better established your yield should improve.